What we love
- Drive atop a hill and waltz into a mesmerising boutique hotel that was the erstwhile retreat of the Chogyals - monarchs of the former kingdom of Sikkim, where back in the day, only the chief guests and friends of the royal family were entertained! Set on a virgin forest land around perfectly manicured landscaped gardens, and with breathtaking views of the Mt. Kanchenjunga, the location of this boutique hotel in Pelling will make your heart skip a beat and surrender to the beauty of nature!
- The interiors are just as magnificent as the natural landscape of the region. With regal Sikkimese architecture, carved period furniture, paintings from the days of yore, Sikkimese memorabilia and artefacts, a stay here will really feel like slipping into the shoes of Royalty under the spell of discreet hospitality and luxury.
- Set amidst the verdant greens, each room, decorated in subtle hues, offers breathtaking and uninterrupted views of the snow capped mountain ranges! The tastefully appointed deluxe rooms come with all the modern amenities and a king sized bed that’s placed on the Burman teak wooden floor. For a bit more of luxury, opt for the suites that come with an adjoining living room with sofas perfectly placed by a crackling fireplace to truly enjoy those chilly nights in the hills.
What to know
- This retreat was also where the royal family stayed when they visited the most sacred place of Sikkim, the Pemayangtse Monastery, to offer their prayers and seek the blessings of the lamas just before coronation ceremonies.
- The 300 year old Pemayangste Monastery and the ruins of Rabdentse, the former capital of Sikkim are within walking distance from the boutique hotel. Slip on your walking shoes and get ready to explore!
- This place is a bird watchers’ paradise! Pull out your binoculars and put on the wide smile grin when the Rufous-gorgeted Flycatcher, Laughing Thrush or the Fire-tailed Myzornis decide to say a little hello and greet you into their world.
- In the evening, enjoy a hot cup of the world famous Darjeeling tea with some hot snacks out in the lawns or at the gazebo! The setting will turn you an evening tea drinker if you’re not already one.
- The intimate yet luxurious nature of the property also makes it a perfect place to ring in milestone celebrations!