What we love
- The journey to the cottages on the hilly roads, following the paths of the Teesta river that snakes it’s way through the mountains and valleys is as mesmerising as the destination itself. The peaks of the mighty Kanchenjunga sneak up every once in a while teasing you with a charade of colours reflected from the sky.
- Be welcomed by the twitterati of the birds, buzzing of the bees, the fragrance of the flowers in full bloom, blades of grass with fresh dew and the song of the winds, to a 19th century heritage home that’s opened its doors to curious guests from the world over!
- The elegant and well furnished heritage rooms open up to the sprawling gardens of the estate. The suites come with their own private verandah and living area where one can lounge around for hours soaking in the beauty of the region around or calming tired nerves. The deluxe rooms are just as comfortable but have shared common spaces, perfect for couples on a vacation looking to meet like minded people from other geographies over barbecue set by a warm bonfire under the shadow of the majestic mountains!
What to know
- The best part about staying at an estate that’s owner run is that you can listen to the legends that surround the region, the history that built the place, stories of war and love and best of all, savour scrumptious local cuisine prepared in the homes of these families. While rice with lentil is the staple food, Nepalese and Tibetan culinary influences can be seen both in the kitchen and the little restaurants around. While here, you must try momos - usually steamed flour dumplings filled with vegetables or meat and served with delicious home-made chilli sauce, kinema - a traditional soyabean fermented food turned into a soup or a side dish served with rice/ bread.
- Given the expansive estate all around, all the ingredients used to prepare the meals are fresh from the gardens. Just let them know your food preferences in advance and let them surprise you with delectable dishes!
- The warmth and love that’s extended by the family will make you feel like you’re home away from home. You’ll have arrived as guests but will leave as friends!
- At an additional charge, delightful barbecues and local dance performances can be organized.