What we love
- Standing firmly in the heart of the French Quarters is this utterly romantic century old vintage mansion that’s been painstakingly restored. Inspired by the values of the Aurobindo Ashram in Pondicherry, this place is truly an oasis of calm and tranquility.
- The charming leafy green courtyard, shaded by the grandpa mango tree, is beautifully decorated with wrought iron furniture, a lone lover’s swing and benches, and leads on to cosy sitting areas through whitewashed arched openings and colonnades.
- Vintage photographs and paintings, old fashioned record players, antique furniture and other memorabilia add to the charm of this place where time stands still. This is where you’ll find squirrels scampering about, birds chirping and sometimes even a media crew all set with camera and lights ready to shoot against the quintessential yellow front facade of the mansion!
- High ceilings, shuttered and panelled wooden windows, period furniture and warm yellow lights characterise the mansion rooms - each unique and beautifully furnished. The rooms come with earthy ensuite bathrooms with modern fittings.
- The warm and smiling staff are always ready to help with anything that you may need. Just ask and they’ll be help you out.
What to know
- The location is perfect for exploring the French Quarters that’s dotted with eclectic boutiques, restaurants and cafes. Lunch and dinner are not served in the mansion and you’re encouraged to select one of the many eateries around for a meal. Breakfast in-house has fixed timings from 8:30 am to 9:30 am, though a tea/ coffee set up is there in the dining area at all times for guests.
- In the spirit of maintaining the peace and quiet of the mansion, children who can be noisy are discouraged. If you’re watching a video or listening to music, headphones will need to be plugged in.
- The serenity of the house and Pondicherry draws people in the creative field who very often decide to make this place their home for an extended period. Should you wish to break away from the humdrum of chaotic cities and stay here, get in touch with us for special long stay rates. For such guests, lunch and dinner too is prepared and served.
- WiFi connection is strongest around the sitting area on the ground floor. Some of the rooms do get connectivity, though the signal strength is weak.
- The two in-house libraries are stocked with an interesting collection of books all the way from architecture and restoration to those on Pondicherry and other parts of India.
- Incase of a power cut, a rarity in the French Quarters, the house is powered by an inverter which can support only basic lights and fans in the rooms. During this period, air-conditioners will not work.