What we love
- This over 100 year old bungalow, perched snugly on a hillock and bounded by rubber and spice plantations around, is a brick built paean to the era when the estate was at its zenith. Originally constructed and owned by a rich planter who was one of the first to bring rubber trees from Malaysia, the bungalow recently underwent careful restoration to include modern amenities without marring the glorious vintage architecture. Aloof from civilisation, the bungalow provides an intensely private atmosphere that’s perfect for a sojourn in the woods in the land of spices - Kerala.
- The white facade of the bungalow encloses six bedrooms in pastel hues that immediately lend a sense of calm. Each of the ornately wood panelled bedrooms has been tastefully furnished with period furniture and decorated with antiques and artistic wall-hangings. The bedrooms have a private verandah from where you can soak in the panoptic vista of the plantations, snooze at leisure or even enjoy a private meal in the lap of nature.
- Take it easy by the swimming pool built to resemble a natural watering hole in the midst of a plantation. Swim a few laps while listening to the local birds sing. Those who’d rather be out of the water, can practice a bit of yoga, meditate or just lounge around in the gardens.
What to know
- Spending time with the pet pachyderm is easily one of the most unique features of a stay here. Traverse the plantations with the jovial elephant either leading the way or ride atop it! You can also watch her get bathed by her mahout and while at it, prepare yourself for the playful water spray that might be headed your way! Follow this up with a laid-back bullock cart ride exploring the estate’s surroundings.
- Learn how rubber is tapped when you wade or cycle your way around the plantations. While here, excursions to famous 16th century churches, tea plantations and other areas of historical and architectural significance around can also be arranged.
- While here, you can sign up for a traditional Ayurvedic spa treatment that’ll help you get rid of the city-caused stress.
- Feast on delicious and wholesome food freshly prepared by the trained chef at a venue of your choice - within the comforts of your private room verandah, by the poolside or at the dining room. The dishes have strong local Kerala flavours with a touch of Mediterranean influences. If you have preferences, let the chef know and he’ll take care of it. If you love something, learn how it is prepared during an engaging cooking demonstration at the estate.