What we love
- Situated in the heart of Mcleodganj is this beautiful Tibetan themed boutique property that overlooks the Kangra valley and the hills beyond and is one of the best places to stay at if you’d like to be close to everything that the town has to offer while soaking in the rich culture of the region.
- Built with stone and slate, left exposed in their native state, the façade seems to be honest and truthful, while subtly sitting in coherence with the natural surroundings. Upon entering, you’ll be greeted with dramatic murals of Buddhist monasteries that adorn the walls gracefully. The intricate workmanship is visible all through - from the lamps, carpets and even the design on the ceiling!
- Each of the bedrooms on offer, displays a different aspect of the rich Tibetan history - ranging from the topography, flora and fauna to even opera of the region! The themed bedrooms are tastefully decorated with traditional thangka paintings and murals and are further complemented by intricate wooden furniture and hand knotted carpets, designed by the artful craftsmen of Norbulingka. All rooms have a balcony or terrace from where you can soak in the generous mountain views. The suites with two adjoining bedrooms are best suited for small families, while the superior and premium rooms are great for couples.
- The in-house restaurant offers delicacies ranging from international cuisines to Tibetan delights! Enjoy exotic food within the warmth and comfort of the dining room or alfresco awed by the spectacular views of the Dhauladhars!
- The property houses a delightful boutique from where you can pick up gorgeous thangka paintings, fashionable clothing from Himachal and other home products. Do walk in and take a look.
What to know
- Walk a few steps to arrive at the Dalai Lama temple where you can breathe in the divine feeling of peace and tranquility. Learn about the tribulations of the Tibetan people. And if, extremely lucky, get to meet His Holiness himself. His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s residence and the Namgyal monastery are also around the corner.
- The streets of Mcleodganj, shaded by the pines, cedars and deodars, is where the magic is at. Take a stroll. Walk into one of the many shops that line the narrow hilly streets of Mcleodganj, picking up a thing or two and exit saying ‘thuchey chey’, which means thank you in Tibetan. And when the belly growls, look out for the discreet and concealed cafes that serve the best quality of Tibetan food. You’ll be amazed to see the variety of momos on offer - from spinach to potato prepared in the most interesting of ways. Next on the list is the traditional noodle soup called ‘thukpa’ - just what the body needs to enjoy the cooler climes. And if you happen to be out during breakfast, try the Tibetan bread that goes perfectly with a freshly prepared omelette and finished off with the local butter tea or peach tea, if you’d like something more exotic!
- Get introduced to the beautiful Tibetan art form by enrolling for one of the many workshops on offer at the Norbulingka Institute - from thangka and wood painting to wood carving! The staff here will be happy to guide you to one that’s best suited for you.
- Experience and explore the region with knowledgeable guides who’ll make you see and discover the hidden gems the place has to offer. Unravel the mystical sacred legends and traditions of the region, peak into the secrets of the Kangra valley while taking a glimpse into some of the oldest civilisations in India. Get in touch with the front office staff to book a tour that we promise you’ll remember for a long time to come!