What we love
- Drive through the mountain roads, passing by tall cedar trees, inhaling the crisp mountain air to arrive at this little cottage that sits snugly between the gushing Beas river and apple orchards, towered by the majestic Himalayas.
- In an age where nuts and bolts are common, this charming cottage has been built painstakingly in traditional Himachali architectural style - a style where construction takes place by inter-looking wood. Most of the times, cedar wood is used and meshed with stones, creating houses that are structurally so firm that they’ve been able to survive earthquakes as well!
- The cottage comes with 3 bedrooms - 2 master bedrooms that have their own sprawling verandah and a spacious attic suite room that has a lovely sitting area. All the rooms have glass windows that allow you to take in the panoramic vistas of the mountains and valleys. The ensuite bathrooms are modern and come equipped with all the amenities you’ll need for a comfortable stay.
- We loved the living area where you can get together and chit chat for hours on by the fireplace as well as the fully equipped kitchen where you can make your own meals! This cottage will really feel like your own vacation home in the hills.
- Kullu Manali is a paradise for those who enjoy the adrenaline rush - go skiing in the mountains, paragliding over the valleys, rafting on the river Beas, camping or even rock climbing!
What to know
- One of the best experiences will be when you go visit the nearby villages and join the locals for food and drinks. Relish a traditional Himachali thali dham - a meal that contains aromatic rice, a choice of lentils, spicy vegetable curries and a variety of desserts - usually served during special occasions, and wash it down with the local alcoholic beverages, lugdi and chang - kinds of crude beer!
- The main market area is just a 10 minute walk away. Go in the evenings for a walk through the apple orchards, stop by the little shops or have a drink at one of the bars and cafes. The cottage has just the perfect location - away from the hustle and bustle yet close enough to walk down when you’d like to be in the midst of activity and action.
- Pack a little picnic basket and make a day of it by the gushing Beas river; fishing for trout, rolling up your pants and sitting by the riverside with your feet dipped in the cold water, laughing and running around or just sleeping on the fresh grass while listening to the calming sound of the waters.
- We recommend carrying woollen clothes, especially when temperatures dip in the early and late evening hours. Also, don’t forget to pack a pair of comfortable walking shoes for the treks, hikes and walks around the mountains.