What we love
- Perched on a hilltop in the shadow of the towering ridge straddled by the hill station of Nainital lies this wooden lodge surrounded by trees and fairly inconspicuous to the casual passerby. The lodge commands a view of the rolling wooded hills to the North and the misty valleys to the East.
- The lodge reflects the architecture brought by the British to Kumaon hills albeit with a modern touch. It’s been tastefully adorned with paintings, photographs and sculptures many of which exude nostalgia of the days gone by while others celebrate the present.
- We can’t help but fall in love with the elegantly wooden furnished rooms, the sloping roofs with rising chimneys, sit-outs overlooking the valley, the cosy dining and lounge area, the impressive collection of books and the attention to detail in lighting. These are all a testament to the amount of thought that has been invested in ensuring an unforgettable experience!
- The tranquil calm that pervades the lodge is intoxicating and a curious listener is exposed to a variety of sounds that are often lost in the cacophony of the towns and cities. Listen to the woodpecker hammer away on a tree, or the pitter patter of the rain on a tin roof, or the whistling of the wind as it rushes through the trees and the assuring comfort of silence.
- For the foodies, there’s a treat of a barbeque under the starry sky with bonfire and the opportunity to taste delectable Kumaoni cuisine!
What to know
- You could crawl into a loft and relish the book that has been on the wish list gathering dust or enjoy a swim in the pool and forget the heat of the plains. For those who prefer to sweat it out, there’s a basketball court and a tennis table and for a slow afternoon, a leisurely game of pool is perfect!
- Televisions are intentionally not installed in the rooms but one is available in the common lounge.
- The curves in the hills can be treacherous and if you’re not comfortable driving in the hills, we’d recommend hiring a car to get around.
- The immense natural beauty is complimented by the vagaries of weather with pure sunshine, relentless rain, reckless wind, irresponsible hail and unbridled mist, all adding to the charm and beauty of this place.The weather in the hills is unpredictable so it is best to check the weather forecast before embarking on your journey to avoid unpleasant surprises.
- Carry a pair of comfortable shoes to walk around the lodge.
- The lodge is committed to adopting sustainable and nature friendly means of operation and therefore the use of plastics is limited and electricity conservation is encouraged. This, however, is done by co-operation with the guests and not at the cost of any discomfort to the visitors.