What we love
- With Nainital burdened by ever-growing number of tourists, this little part, 20 minutes short of Nainital town, has emerged as a viable alternative without compromising on a peaceful natural setting in the lap of lower Himalayas. With Nainital being easily accessible by road and also by a trail for those looking to stretch their legs, this place is perfect for a relaxed vacation that promises the glitz of Nainital and laid-back attitude of sleepy settlements in the hills.
- The ambience reminds one of quaint stone cottages of the colonial era often described in books by Jim Corbett. The rustic exterior is complemented by a cozy reading and dining area with fireplaces, spacious rooms and a sit-in area that offers views of the misty hills and valleys. The lush lawns are ideal for basking in the warm winter sun, savouring the cool mountain air during summers and witnessing the fury of angry monsoon clouds. The property is bordered by a thick growth of trees alive with the chattering of birds that is best relished early in the morning while sipping a hot cup of tea.
- While people usually associate the Himalayas with snow-capped peaks the lower Himalayas or Shivalik is bestowed with a charm of its own. Rolling hills carpeted with jungles of oak, pine and deodar threaded by rushing streams and rivers playing the music of nature leave a lasting impression on the beholder. This natural bounty is infused with culture of the hill-folk – the sound of flute and bagpipes, the taste of lips-smacking dishes and the vibrant celebrations of festivals.
What to know
- If you are a foodie, a barbeque with bonfire organized by the property under the starry sky can add a zing to your vacation. Additionally if you look forward to munching on cuisines from different parts of India ask for delectable Kumaoni dishes that are home-prepared with local ingredients.
- To truly feel the pulse of the hills one must be willing to walk. Several trails around the property are great for casual hikes that offer an insight into the rugged life of hills. A short walk from the property to a nearby mound that has a small temple at the top or the Pilot Baba Ashram can be rewarding; for those curious about life in villages in Kumaon a trek to a nearby village would certainly be a unique experience.
- Driving in the hills though an exhilarating experience is tricky especially during the monsoon season when landslides can be a dampener. If you are uncomfortable navigating sharp turns, hire a cab or a driver.
- Before embarking on your vacation check the weather forecast as the whimsical weather in the hills can spring some unpleasant surprises. This will ensure that you pack all necessary items such as umbrellas, woolens and have an idea of what to expect on arrival.